We started using FreePBX instead of Lync recently and after a while we ran into the following error:
WARNING[C-00001548] channel.c: Unable to find a codec translation path: (slin) -> (g729)
Turns out that even though G729 is by default shown in the GUI of FreePBX it is not turned on by default since it requires a commercial license.
Since we use Unifi UVP end-points and Zoiper with the licencing for the codecs I went ahead and found some hints in the internet how to get this codec working on Asterisk so that there is translation towards the end-point. After finding a helpfull article I discovered that it was a bit out-dated as it lacked two crucial steps to get this working on FreePBX.
cd /usr/lib/asterisk/modules wget http://asterisk.hosting.lv/bin/codec_g729-ast130-gcc4-glibc-x86_64-core2.so mv codec_g729-ast130-gcc4-glibc-x86_64-core2.so codec_g729.so chmod 755 codec_g729.so chown asterisk:asterisk codec_g729.so /etc/init.d/asterisk restart asterisk -rx "core show codecs" asterisk -rx "core show translation"
Although the hints where good the last step was to change permissions on the file and also to change the owner and group. This allowed asterisk to start using the codec.